Log in

No account? Create an account
06 October 2006 @ 12:39
I left my house at eleven today and got on a JR train to Funabashi. It was raining really hard. When I tried to switch train lines to the Keisei Line, the information board simply read 'Now Adjusting'. In fact, not even the ticket machines were working. I had to buy 150 yen ticket because the numbers didn't go any higher. I asked the station manager and he said there were no trains to where I wanted to go.

I got a refund and went to my regular branch (at the same station). There was no one there except one teacher, who was in a lesson. No receptionists, no senior staff. I called Personnel and they told me to get on a train and do what I could to get to the branch I was meant to be in today. It was now around twelve, but I had a feeling that this was a little impossible.

So I bought a 150 yen ticket and took the train as far as I could. And then I went to the station masters' office to find out how to get to my branch. He was busy talking to many other passengers, so I went back to the platform and waited with other people. A train came in, but it terminated at the station too. I was getting worried, so I went back to the station master and waited a bit longer, since the crowd had cleared. He told me the trains had truly stopped, but I could get a bus.

I saw three friends outside who were also trying to get to work. We decided to share a taxi (a bus? WHERE?) and started queuing in the rain with about thirty people in front of us at the taxi rank. Suddenly, everyone started running. The bus had arrived, but could only take a few people because it was already full. We ran back and were now seventh or so in the queue. ONE taxi finally showed up.

About ten minutes later, the station master ran out and announced they'd put on a train to Usui for all of us. I saw two women who were trying to explain in English to him that they wanted a late train certificate. I asked if I could help and supplied the right Japanese expression for them to get what they needed. Turned out they worked for the same company! So then there were six of us trying to get to our respective places.

...It was now ten past one, over two hours since I'd left home! I had been trading phone calls back and forth with Personnel, and it suddenly looked like I was going to get to work on time. In fifteen minutes, things changed from standing in the rain waiting for a taxi with thirty people to being on a train. So I don't know if they logged me as absent or not. I phoned to tell them I'd been on time and, in fact, both students had cancelled. Seems they had problems getting there too.

I got in with no time to spare. I dealt with some work I needed to do and dashed off to my next branch. I managed to get there just fine and it was business as usual, apart from the torrential rain. Apart from the initial 150 yen, I just walked through the barriers. I was too annoyed with the entire situation to pay. When I got home, I noticed there was a dump of broken umbrellas by the station and lots of fallen branches.

And only then did it occur to me that THAT was a typhoon.
lpatobe on 6th October 2006 09:37 (UTC)
That was all sounding strangely familiar (and oddly reassuring) until the very last line!
Williamgenkischuldich on 6th October 2006 09:41 (UTC)
The rain was incredible though! thinking back, I don't know why that didn't occur to me initially!
lpatobe on 6th October 2006 12:46 (UTC)
I think we may have got the tail end of it this afternoon.
Ariss Tenohariss_tenoh on 6th October 2006 09:46 (UTC)
It sounded like a bad day until that last line. Great dramatic effect there^_~ I'm glad you're okay.
Williamgenkischuldich on 6th October 2006 10:27 (UTC)
Wow, I wasn't really going for dramatic effect. Just figuring out my thought processes, I guess. ^^
Ariss Tenohariss_tenoh on 6th October 2006 11:56 (UTC)
Ignore me. I'm a writer, I can't help but notice things like that^_^

But that's scary. The possibility of a typhoon hitting....
reichsfreiherr on 6th October 2006 10:03 (UTC)
Is it awful of me that until the end of your post I was thinking ‘and that’s why we have suicide barriers on the Jubilee line’? Sounds like living in Japan can be as interesting as that ‘may you live in interesting times’ curse might suggest it to be.

It’s a good thing that you and your co-workers are alright.
Williamgenkischuldich on 6th October 2006 10:33 (UTC)
Actually, I heard it was a combination of a train being stuck on a crossing and rain. Lots of rain. But who knows...?
Thomas Vye: Itachi loves Sharkythomasvye on 6th October 2006 10:10 (UTC)
Heh. That would be a normal day on London transport. Except it would be being caused by 'a leaf on the line'...
Pez }}morning.maple{{yuki_scorpio on 6th October 2006 10:23 (UTC)
The other day I read on BBC news website that trains have been delayed because of "pollen", too.

It's funny, Kat, by the end of your 2nd paragraph I figured "oh, must be a typhoon" - but that's because I'm used to them in HK and it's about the tail end of the typhoon season!
Pez }}morning.maple{{yuki_scorpio on 6th October 2006 10:32 (UTC)
Ah, might be good to check with your company their typhoon policy if they have one. I have no idea how it works in Japan, but in HK, the weather station announces what "grade" typhoon it is, which is broadcasted on TV and radio. According to the grade, people may not have to go to school or work... or are discouraged to leave work, if the typhoon starts late in the day. There might be a similar system in Japan, too.
Williamgenkischuldich on 6th October 2006 10:42 (UTC)
Haha -- yeah, when I had time to stop and think, I figured it out!
Williamgenkischuldich on 6th October 2006 10:34 (UTC)
Yeah, I quite imagine it. Although LT would not be 'okay' with you just striding through the barriers as I did.
Thomas Vye: Nekozawathomasvye on 6th October 2006 10:39 (UTC)
There was a case in the papers this week of a ticket inspector losing it and throttling a fare evader! lol! That's presumably their new tactic; buy a ticket or we'll kill you!!!
Williamgenkischuldich on 6th October 2006 10:41 (UTC)
Ooh... what happened? I get no British news here!
Hi-chan (火ちゃん)hinoai on 6th October 2006 17:56 (UTC)
ROFLOL Welcome to Japan =D Last year, I had a really similar experience, though I lived closer. But I was only barely able to make it on time. A few times, I was late due to typhoons, which is actually something that I liked. ^^;;; It meant less time that I had to be at work, working! And no penalty if it's not your fault. =D

But anyways..... I love typhoons! They cause a lot of problems if you're going anywhere, but aren't they fun otherwise? =D
(Anonymous) on 11th October 2006 05:14 (UTC)
But there is a penalty -- you don't get paid for that lesson! Ah, I really need the money right now...
Williamgenkischuldich on 11th October 2006 05:15 (UTC)
Err... That was me. LJ logged me out for some reason...
Hi-chan (火ちゃん)hinoai on 11th October 2006 05:33 (UTC)
Ahh, that's true...... I guess that I just hated the job so much that time off was time off, and it meant a shorter working day which was yay!! ^o^ At least it's a long month though, so it's not as bad as it would be in February, ne? ^^